Saturday, January 15, 2022

Mere Anarchy Arcane Secrets and Monsters 2e

A few days ago I uploaded Mere Anarchy Arcane Secrets, a little magic book that contains...

  • Wizard name generator using prefixes and suffixes
  • Magic user titles
  • Two word spell generator that uses a descriptor and an effect
  • How to integrate spells into the game
  • Critical spell failure chart
  • Spellbook name generator 
  • Magic item generator and implementation guidelines
  • Magic symbols, colors, and orders generator
  • How to connect PCs and magic
Lots of little fiddly things to play with in the book. One of my design goals for Mere Anarchy is to avoid big lists of monsters and spells so that everything continuously feels new and unexplored. I love the idea of interpreting two words to determine the effects if a spell. I have that same love for randomly generated monsters - some of which may make little sense. While I also really enjoy reading a bestiary, I find that in game, players often become familiar with spells and monsters and use their own knowledge (as players) to manipulate the game. When everything is new and foreign, the players are in the same place as the PCs. Of course this has it pros and cons but I am going for a procedural generation feel to the game and the content.

With this being said, I have uploaded a 2nd edition to the Mere Anarchy Monsters Book. This isn't a true second edition but more of a revised version that expands some of the charts and provides a much broader scope of the type of monsters that can be created. I feel like having completed it I already have ideas for a 3rd version. Ugh.

Anyway. Next up I am hoping to release the Kingdom Builder rules but I have some organizational elements I am dealing with there. Hopefully in the next two weeks!

Dirk

No comments:

Post a Comment

  The continent of Nuzoz was first introduced in the Nuzoz expansion to Far Away Land several years back. Along with the Seas of FAL, that m...