Friday, December 16, 2022

Converting FAL to Adventure Perilous



Howdy all.

So, I feel like Adventure Perilous is by far the best set of rules I have written (for me personally). I feel like all of my rules writing up to this point has been to get to this place of simplicity and elegance. While the existing rules for FAL are rules-lite after having spent years with them I am looking for something even lighter, something that anyone can pick up and play in just a few minutes. This is why I am converting FAL to Adventure Perilous. 

In playtests with Adventure Perilous, even people who had never played a game prior were able to quickly learn the rules and get to playing in a very short period of time. And honestly, at this point in life, that's what I am interested, playing a game, having a good time, and not giving much of a care about the rules. Rules are boring (although I do love reading rules), stories are not. 

I wanted a set of rules that provided guidelines and let the action unfold without worry about the minutiae. 

Make it as you go. 

Sandbox. 

As long as the fictional universe has a set of physics and that set of physics makes sense and adheres to itself, I'm good with it. And I get it, this may not be for everyone but whatever. I'm making FAL for me. It's a lifelong project and I'm tired of rules and mechanics. I want to build a massive universe full of monsters and worlds and stories. And, after about 8 years working on the project, that's where it is. 

Everything up to now has been getting a feel for the beast that I want FAL to be. So, I'm going to convert it to simple rules and make a huge book and build a bunch of cool stuff. I'm writing stories and a podcast and making art and languages. 

That's what's up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  The continent of Nuzoz was first introduced in the Nuzoz expansion to Far Away Land several years back. Along with the Seas of FAL, that m...