Friday, March 15, 2024

 

One of my favorite books of all time is the D&D Rules Cyclopedia from 1991. In high school I was mesmerized by the sheer scope of the book. I used to lay in bed studying that book like it was some sacred text. Prior to the Rules Cyclopedia I had separate boxed sets (which I don’t anymore) for D&D Basic and Expert Rules. The Rules Cyclopedia combined the Basic, Expert, Companion, and Master Rules of the Basic Edition of D&D into a single book allowing for characters all the way up to level 36 (we of course never even got close to that). I can see why the Rules Cyclopedia came into existence now that I have a game (Far Away Land) that has grown in scope and content. Separate books have a tendency to make finding and keeping track of content more difficult than it needs to be. So, besides revamping some of the previous rules in Far Away Land, the upcoming 2nd edition serves to take all of the rules from the original books (Tome of Awesome, Creature Volumes, Seas, etc.) and make a single tome (400+ pages right now) that contains everything on the fantasy side of FAL. Anyone else have the Rules Cyclopedia? Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

  The continent of Nuzoz was first introduced in the Nuzoz expansion to Far Away Land several years back. Along with the Seas of FAL, that m...