Friday, September 1, 2023

Getting Serious and Progress

I noticed that I have been quite the non-poster considering the last post on this page was from FEBRUARY 2023! Well, all that is about to change. With the upcoming 10th-anniversary of FAL fast approaching, as well as a Kickstarter for a second edition to launch in late spring or early summer next year, it is of paramount importance to get serious and start paving the way for both the celebration and the Kickstarter. Luckily, I have some help, not only with the writing of Far Away Land Book of Lore but also with the whole social media aspect. Social media has never been my thing, but apparently the 1990s were like 25 years ago, and I have continuously missed that digital train.

With all of this said, moving forward, social media for FAL will very much be handled with regularity and attention. Posts will be scheduled and driven by logic as opposed to whims. This is all well and good and honestly makes the whole thing more approachable and doable on my end. A special announcement will soon be made as I begin to share some of the load.

Okay. That's out of the way.

Progress on the new books has continued without interruption (even though I can't say the same thing for my updates). The second edition of the Far Away Land RPG will be called The Far Away Land Enchiridion of Awesome, and that book is essentially done. I have posted previously about updated mechanics and systems and additions, but I'll not go into that here (a comprehensive list will follow soon). That book is a bit over 400 pages, and unlike previous FAL books, it will be 8.5 x 11 inches.

The other book, The Far Away Land Book of Lore, is in the midst of being worked on. The focus so far has been gathering all of the various writings about FAL and getting them together in a single place - thus the Book of Lore. Preliminary work on that project has seen a revision of the maps and locations with two new continents added, completing the entirety of the world. The maps have not undergone any significant location changes, although I have decided to return to hex maps. I have created an entire custom set of hexes in the style of FAL so that these maps very much feel a part of the aesthetic of FAL in general. More to come on that in later posts (but I am really excited about the maps and the revisions to location descriptions).

Alright. I promised myself I would keep this brief. So that's where things are. I'm looking forward to being a bit more connected, working on the project with someone else, and moving toward the 10th anniversary of FAL.

- Dirk

No comments:

Post a Comment

  The continent of Nuzoz was first introduced in the Nuzoz expansion to Far Away Land several years back. Along with the Seas of FAL, that m...