Sunday, December 17, 2023

Old School Inspiration




The cover of the AD&D Manual of the Planes was always something terrifying to me. That big cyclopean lobster-handed dude rising up out of some gaseous ether of another realm was so striking the first time I saw it. It begged for adventure and I never forgot the image or the feeling it gave me. I feel like that’s what good art does, it burns an image into our brains so we never forget. The sketch here is from really early days of FAL when I was trying to get a feel for how I wanted the art to look. You might see some vague resemblance between our friend on the cover of the Manual of the Planes and the Mountain Lord featured in the early sketch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  The continent of Nuzoz was first introduced in the Nuzoz expansion to Far Away Land several years back. Along with the Seas of FAL, that m...