Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Minimalism in Games

When I was younger, I wanted to play games that tried to emulate or had rules for everything. I wanted dense crunch, systems that used forty equations to determine the trajectory of a missed ranged attack. I wanted bookkeeping. Looking back, I don’t know who that person was. I think I had time in those days to learn complex systems, to spend time reading rulebooks. I also had friends willing to play new games. Not so much anymore. But also, these days, I am drawn to simplicity and elegance in game mechanics. I am drawn to minimalist games like Risus, Tunnel Goons, Troika, business card rpgs, and even some OSR stuff. I like games that I can pick up and read in a single sitting and know how to play. Maybe my attention span has been reduced or maybe I allocate time differently now, I don’t know. I just love mechanics that give a foundation and let the GM and players run wild. I like play that allows the players to get into the story and rarely or never reference rules. Are there minimalist games that you have played that you love?

No comments:

Post a Comment

  The continent of Nuzoz was first introduced in the Nuzoz expansion to Far Away Land several years back. Along with the Seas of FAL, that m...