Monday, July 29, 2024

 


Just recently, I played in a game of FAL where, for the first time, I was a player (with a Myscus thief, hence the pic) and not the GM. Seems strange that it has taken this long but in the past, I have always run the game. Also, this was the first time the person running the game had ever run a game for a group. They had an entire story and background and encounters and maps and were totally prepared and I had a great time. I say that even as the party sort of turned into murder hobos at one point when we killed a troglodyte toddler and enraged his parents before running into the woods like the cowards we were. Three hours flew by and I loved playing and I am looking forward to the next session.


I’ve been thinking a lot about the experience of playing/running games as we get closer to the release of the 2nd Edition and people start their own adventures. One thing I try to do as a player/GM, whether it was in this recent game or any game where I’m not GM, is look at what the GM is doing effectively. Everything I have learned about running a game I have borrowed from others, either in person or watching or reading. All of that gets filtered through me to be something new-ish. The things I like and find enjoyable get added to a session. Things that almost work might get modified. I don’t keep everything of course but there are always nuggets and this session was no different. It’s all learning and growing and that's something I love about running, playing, and making games. Can’t wait for the next session.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  Latest update on where things stand with the recent Kickstarter project: Funds have been transferred. Proofs were ordered as of a couple ...